The History of the Rosary (Let's Time Travel!) For young children.
The Rosary Story- Full Video! Story of The Rosary
Reverend Monsignor John E. Delendick
September 4, 1949 - November 23, 2023.
October Month of the Rosary
Shrine Church of Saint Jude
The Rosary: History, Mystery, and Meaning HD
Greetings: My name is Helen Teifer and I am the Religious Education Administrator for the Shrine Church of St. Jude. On this page you will find information about formal Religious Education for children. Currently Shrine Church of St. Jude Religious Education is for children in Grades 1 - 8.
On the side, under the Blessed Mother you will find various resources. I periodically add and change.
Below is information about our formal Religious Education for children. Under the Sacrament heading there is detailed information for each sacrament.
RELIGIOUS EDUCATION FOR CHILDREN GRADES 1 - 8
INFORMATION FOR 2023 - 2024
(Please remember that formal Religious Education is ongoing.)
Levels 1 - 7 (grades 1-7) meets on most Sundays from 10:00 am to noon, followed by the 12:30 Mass.
Fees: 1 child $100, 2 or more $150
All questions and concerns should be done through email.
Religious Education is all about supporting parents who are the primary catechists to their children. Faith is not something we can learn in a class that meets a few hours a week. Faith is something we live and grow into with our families. Nothing we do in Religious Education class would make any sense to your children if the faith was not a part of your home life. Practicing the faith at home includes praying together, reading the Bible together, & sharing your faith to your children.
Certain mandates are required of and for all children attending a Diocese of Brooklyn program:
* Catholic parents who wish to have their children receive the sacraments are required to send their children to formal religious education yearly starting with the first grade.
* Children are to attend all Sunday and Holy Day Masses throughout the year.
* Two complete years are required before the reception of the sacrament of First Holy Communion and/or Confirmation.
* Families participating in our program should be a registered member in the Shrine Church of St. Jude parish.
* As mandated by the Diocese of Brooklyn all teachers/helpers have participated in “Virtus” training. Special note: everyone is a volunteer who gives their time and talents to assist you in your child’s faith formation.
What does the Shrine Church of St. Jude Religious Education Program look like?
Religious Education Grades 1 - 7
- The Sunday Religious Education Program meets on Sunday mornings which includes Religion class and Mass. Class begins at 10:00 in the school. After the class all children will proceed over to the 12:30 Mass with their teacher and sit in assigned seats. The students will be given an attendance record card to be completed by the celebrant of the Mass, if you elect to have your child attend 5:30 Saturday, 8:30 Sunday or at a different Catholic Church. For parents who elect to attend another Mass - there will be an early drop-off beginning at 9:30 AM.
- Sunday classes meet almost every Sunday with some exceptions. Classes do not meet on major Holy Day and/or holiday weekends which includes: Christmas, Thanksgiving, New Year’s, Palm Sunday - Easter Sunday and Memorial Day. Other calendar holidays (Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and Presidents’ Day) do not meet formally but the children are assigned work for those Sundays which is to be completed and handed in at the next scheduled class. (Work may be completed at any time during the week).
- Throughout the year there are special meetingswhich both children and parents/families are expected to attend. These are: Catechetical Sunday (Opening Day) 10:30 Mass & meeting to follow, Christmas Religious Education Celebration concluding with 12:30 Mass, Mother’s Day 10:30 Mass with May Crowning & End Year Celebration concluding with 12:30 Mass.
- Sunday Religious Education fee (grades 1 -7) is $100 for the first child & 150 for two or more. (Payment plan may be set up if needed.)
- A copy of the child’s birth certificate and Baptismal certificate should be handed in with completed registration form. A registration form is to be completed yearly for each child.
- Sunday Program:
- All children meet in the cafeteria and proceed upstairs to their classroom with their teacher.
- For the safety of all our children, parents/guardians are not permitted in escorting their children to class.
- Attendance is taken. Regular attendance (no more than 3 excused absences) is very important and strongly encouraged so that our students may receive the full benefit of their religious education time.
- One class each year your children participate in Child Lures Prevention. The Child Lures Prevention program teaches children essential safety with a non-frightening approach which preserves the innocence and optimism of childhood.
- Throughout the year children will participate in various safety requirements which includes “Fire drills” and “Shelter in Place.”
- Students receive a Religion workbook to assist with the Sunday learning experience. Materials for grades may differ.
- Prayers and songs are a very important part of our Sunday program. Each session begins with both. Throughout the year children are introduced to specific prayers per grade and are encouraged to memorize them.
- Students should bring their own pencils/crayons to use during class time.
- Students are expected to be punctual and prepared for class.
- Students are expected to be respectful towards their teacher, their classmates and their environment. The classrooms are borrowed space. Students are to avoid touching or writing on anything that does not belong to them (including desks, textbooks, teacher’s belongings, etc.) No food is to be eaten in the classrooms. Students should have eaten before they come to class. Water is permitted.
- Cell Phones and other electronics should be turned off and out of sight during the class period.
- Religious Education Grades 8 Confirmation Prep Class
- The Sacrament of Confirmation is made in the Spring.
- All children must have completed two years of a religious education program prior to attending the Confirmation prep class. (This means grades 6 & 7. This may have been done in Catholic school or a Religious Education Program.)
- Our Confirmation program includes ALL Shrine Church of St. Jude parish children in grade 8 or above.
- Confirmation class meets in person on Saturday evenings twice a month. On the off weeks, students are given additional work in their workbook to prepare for the upcoming lesson. First class begins in September.
- Class begins at 4:00 and includes the 5:30 Mass. All Confirmation students are required to attend Mass unless they attend a Sunday Mass with their families.
- Confirmation candidates will be given Mass attendance cards which they are to have completed after the Mass. REMINDER: Candidates are to attend all Sunday and Holy Day Masses throughout the year.
- Confirmation candidates are required to complete 20 hours of service, a saint report and select a sponsor.
- More information will be provided.
- The fee for Confirmation is $175.
- First Holy Communion/Penance -
- The Sacrament of Penance will be celebrated in March and the sacrament of First Holy Communion will be celebrated in May.
- For a child to be eligible to receive the sacraments he/she must have completed a first grade formal religion class in either a Catholic School or a Religious Education Program and is now attending Grade 2.
- Prior to receiving the sacraments, ALL parish children (Catholic/Public/Private school) with their parents are required to attend four preparation meetings. These meetings will take place on Saturdays. (Dates, times and additional information will be provided at a later date.)
- This instruction is separate from Sunday classes.
Religious Education Teens/High School -
- Students who are currently in High School and have not received the sacraments meet on Sunday mornings. Please ask for additional information.
Religious Education for Children with Special Needs -
- Every child is unique and different, please request a meeting with the Religious Education Administrator to discuss what would be the best for your child.
For any questions or concerns about the Shrine Church of Saint Jude Religious Education Program please contact by email. MsTeiferSJoAMSJu@aol.com.
Ms. Helen A. Teifer
Religious Education Administrator
Any questions please e-mail MsTeiferSJoAMSJu@aol.com
You may contact our Religious Education Administrator, Ms. Helen Teifer, with any question at MsTeiferSJoAMSJu@aol.com